Friday, January 12, 2007

Digital Storytelling in Dheisheh

I've been in Palestine now for a week though it feels much longer with my never-ending days. I'm at Ibdaa Cultural Center in Dheisheh refugee camp right now running a digital storytelling workshop with twelve youth from Ibdaa Center and Lajee Center in Aida refugee camp (also in Bethlehem).
There are six of us from the US working together with staff and volunteers from the centers on facilitating the workshop and it's still exhausting! We are packing so much into this week-long project but it's working out well. Tomorrow is our last day and I'm confident they'll all have something powerful to share (or to keep private if they choose) by the end of the day.
It's been interesting for me to be working directly with youth while in Palestine. I'm usually doing administrative work here and I'm enjoying spending lots of time with young people. Two of the participants are also members of the Ibdaa Dance Troupe who I spent a month with for their November 2005 tour so it's great to be with them again and continue getting to know them.
In any case, it's 1am and I need to get to bed so I will be ready for the workshop to begin again at 9am. So, here are some photos and I'll try to write again soon.


Playing "pass the penny" icebreaker in the Ibdaa computer lab
One participant sharing her life map before starting to write her story

No comments: